Fans of Coastal San Diego

This site is for the many fans of coastal San Diego, those who have lived here for years, as well as those new to the area. Here you can learn more about the different communities, the many things to do and places to visit in and around San Diego, share your experiences, and ask for advice and recommendations for restaurants, shopping, visitor activities, places to live, and more! Buyers thinking about moving here will find lots of information to help, too!

Monday, February 26, 2007

North County, San Diego? Or San Diego North

So which is it? North County? Or San Diego North?

It was really confusing to me when we moved here in 2005 and settled in Carlsbad. Everyone referred to the area as North County, and until I looked into it I thought it was a separate county. I know it's not. So what does North County refer to?? What towns are included and which ones are not? I think this is still a confusing issue. But I have a general idea.

I understand where it developed from. With the rapid growth of towns like Oceanside, Encinitas, Cardiff, Carlsbad, Escondido and other "suburbs" of San Diego following the 5 being built, and with many towns (also including Del Mar, Solana Beach) becoming incorporated beginning in the 50s, it became common to refer to the northern reaches of the county as North County.

I recently read an article in the San Diego Magazine that talked quite a bit about this area and its growth. There is now a push to refer to the area as San Diego North to better link the region to the rest of the county. This push is coming from Cami Mattson Director of the San Diego North Convention and Visitors Bureau. The article talks about her branding of our region as an area for resorts such as those found in Santa Barbara and Laguna Beach (guess they are referring to places like Aviara and La Costa, to name a few). So the pressure for referring to the area as San Diego North is part of this branding effort, as I understand it.

I don't know that it makes a difference. And it really doesn't matter to me. I am just getting used to calling the area North County so I'm not sure I can change that readily. And I'm not convinced it really will make a difference to the economics of the area - perhaps in the advertising. We'll see.

So what do you think? Does the name North County confuse you? What about renaming the area? Do you even care? I'd love to hear what you think.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Jeff Dowler (RE/MAX Associates): Real Estate Agent in Carlsbad, San Diego County, California on activerain.com